WHAT IS COSMETIC TATTOOING?
Cosmetic tattooing, also referred to as semi-permanent makeup or micropigmentation, is the process of implanting colour pigment beneath the surface of the skin by means of tiny, sterile, disposable needles to produce the appearance of hair strokes, makeup, or to enhance the natural features of the face.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN COSMETIC TATTOOING AND STANDARD BODY TATTOOING?
The purpose of cosmetic tattooing is to enhance the natural features of a client. Cosmetic tattooing is softer and more subtle – it is meant to be a natural-looking enhancement. Body tattoos use ink while cosmetic tattoo procedures involve pigments. These pigments are designed to gently fade over time. How these pigments react on each individual client depends on sun exposure, oils in the skin, skin care products, and your aftercare regime. Fading is desired as it allows the artist to make changes to colour and shape over the years as client’s natural colouration and facial changes occur.
DOES COSMETIC TATTOOING HURT?
A highly-effective, topical anesthetic cream and gel are used for numbing before and during your procedure. Pain threshold levels vary from person to person and every effort is made to ensure you remain comfortable for the entirety of the procedure. Having this service performed during your menstrual cycle may increase discomfort during your procedure. If you are a frequent smoker, the topical anesthetics used during the treatment will not last as long. If you have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, be aware that this may affect your sensitivity tolerance to the procedure.
HOW OLD DO I HAVE TO BE TO GET TATTOOED?
You must be 18 years or older to receive a cosmetic tattoo service at Ascending Koi Tattoo.
CAN I GET TATTOOED IF I AM PREGNANT OR NURSING?
As a precaution, we do not perform cosmetic tattooing on pregnant or nursing women.
HOW LONG DOES COSMETIC TATTOOING LAST?
Cosmetic tattoo treatments are considered semi-permanent and will not wash off, however, they will fade over time and may need to be refreshed every 1-2 years. Frequency of touch-ups depends on a number of factors including: the pigment colour used (lighter colours fade faster), lifestyle (sun exposure), and if any chemical peels come into contact with treated areas. Please note that final results CAN NOT be guaranteed as each unique skin type will hold pigments differently and break down at different rates. We will re-evaluate how your skin has received the pigment at your touch-up appointment and make any changes necessary. Touch-ups are normal and to be expected for cosmetic tattoo procedures, with each new procedure requiring at least 2 visits. The initial procedure followed by a touch-up procedure about 6-8 weeks later. *Each initial appointment takes approximately 1-1.5 hours.
**Please bring any reference images with you to your appointment.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS ARE NEEDED?
For most clients, a minimum of two treatments are usually needed, at least 6-8 weeks apart. With most procedures, the colour looks dramatically lighter after the first week. Some clients prefer this, while others opt for a bolder look. At the second treatment, we will assess the colour retention and make adjustments as necessary. Everyone heals differently and at different rates. If your cosmetic tattoo does not heal perfectly the first time, do not worry! We can always go darker and add more density at your follow up appointment. :)
WHAT FACTORS WILL AFFECT MY COSMETIC TATTOO?
• Sun exposure: The sun will extremely soften the look of your tattoo, so sunblock should be used (once healed) to prolong your enhancement.
• The regeneration of skin cells: The longer the regeneration takes, the longer the pigment holds.
• The speed at which the skin absorbs the pigment: The slower the absorption, the longer the pigment will hold.
• The choice of colour: Some colours fade quicker than others, e.g. a blonde colour will fade quicker than a dark brown colour.
• The area of treatment: Enhancements to the face, for example, fade more quickly due to constant exposure.
• Bleeding during the procedure: Any bleeding during the tattooing procedure will reduce the amount of pigment absorption. Alcohol and certain medications act as blood-thinners and should not be taken prior to and following your appointment.
• Anemia or Iron Deficiency: If you have low iron levels in your blood this could cause the tattoo to fade at a faster rate, as your body will leach the iron out of the pigment. This is because we use iron oxide pigments.
WHAT SHOULD I DO BEFORE MY EYEBROW PROCEDURE?
• If you have an ideal shape and colour in mind, bring a few reference photos with you to your appointment.
• You may fill in your eyebrows as you normally would so we can take into consideration the shape you desire.
• If you regularly get your eyebrows shaped, waxed, threaded or tinted, please do so at least 3 days before your appointment. If there are any stray hairs that fall outside of our final shape, we can remove them.
• If you plan to go on a vacation, it is recommended to plan your trip a minimum of 14 days after the procedure.
• We require our clients to avoid any blood thinning medication for a minimum of 72 hours prior to their appointment. This includes Vitamin E, Aspirin, Niacin, fish oil supplements, and Ibuprofen.
• Do not drink any alcohol the night before and day of your appointment and limit the amount of caffeine you consume.
• If you have been on prescription Accutane in the past, you MUST wait at least one year before considering this procedure.
• It is highly recommended that you avoid SUN and TANNING BED exposure for 30 days BEFORE and AFTER your procedure. If you show up for your appointment with a new tan or a sunburn, you will need to reschedule and will forfeit your deposit. As your skin exfoliates from a sunburn, it will take the pigment with it.
HOW WILL I LOOK IMMEDIATELY AFTER? WHAT IS THE HEALING PROCESS?
Your semi-permanent makeup will appear darker and more intense than expected for the first few days. This will gradually lighten during the complete healing process. Redness and swelling is minimal. Please view our detailed aftercare instructions.
WHAT SHOULD I DO AFTER THE PROCEDURE?
We will provide you with after care instructions. It is highly beneficial to follow these instructions to ensure a comfortable healing process and to achieve the best results.
HOW WILL MY COSMETIC TATTOO LOOK IN THE FUTURE?
During your appointment, we will analyze your skin's undertone to anticipate how pigment colours will fade in the future. We will also mix pigments to ensure colour blends well with your existing eyebrow and hair colour. The majority of our clients' cosmetic tattoos stay true to color and lighten naturally over time. There are some cases, however, where colours may fade to different tones according to the individual’s response to the pigments (like lifestyle and iron deficiencies). Many factors affect these changes. At your follow up appointment, we will re-analyze how your body has responded to the initial colour. Special formula alteration to correct the colour and to prevent further colour change is made at this time. Your eyebrow tattoo will eventually look softer and have more of a "powdered" look. This happens with all clients as the skin ages. To keep your hair strokes looking good, a refresher appointment is suggested every 1 to 2 years. Results vary with each client.
WHAT SHOULD I KNOW ABOUT LONG TERM CARE?
A good sunscreen should be applied daily AFTER healing and is required to help keep colour true. As with any tattoo, sun exposure will make the colour soften faster.
Fading speed depends on your skin type, lifestyle, sun exposure, pigment colour used, broken capillaries, and if any chemical peels were done after your procedure. If you are planning a chemical peel, laser treatment or other medical procedure, please inform the technician that you have had a cosmetic tattoo. Careful application must be taken to avoid affecting the tattooed area.
WILL COSMETIC TATTOOING WORK WELL FOR ME?
If you have extremely oily skin, the hair stroke eyebrow technique will NOT work well for you. The constant production of oil will cause the hair strokes to heal with a diffused, softer look. Your end result will look more powdered than you would expect.
If you have little to no existing hair, your tattoo will appear more 2-dimensional than those clients who have more hair naturally. If you are a frequent smoker, your pigment may fade sooner. If you are iron deficient or Anemic, your pigment may fade sooner and bleeding/bruising may occur during and after the procedure.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have had your eyebrows previously tattooed and are interested in a cover-up/re-work, you MUST email us a clear photo PRIOR to booking your appointment. We cannot guarantee results for cases such as these and we must approve that your eyebrows are workable. In some cases where the previous work is too dark, dense, discoloured, or large, tattoo fading/removal will be recommended before we begin the cover-up/re-work. Previously tattooed areas and cover-ups will almost always require additional touch-ups for best results and will be charged accordingly.
IS THE STUDIO AND EQUIPMENT SAFE?
Absolutely! We pride ourselves in having an immaculate and sterile studio space. We only use single use, disposable needles and supplies. This means that each set-up for each new client is discarded safely afterwards. Each of our stations are thoroughly disinfected before opening and after each procedure throughout the day.